Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Some Days....

Some days revolve around a task that takes less than five minutes. That was my day today. I got up. I traveled two hours to Sofia. I took a bus to the Peace Corps office. I got a shot. I hung out and waited to go to lunch with another PCV. I had lunch with her. I caught a tram to the bus station. I rode another two hours home. Now I'm home. Oh, the glamorous life of a PCV.
In this mundanity, I did make a quick stop in Velingrad to pay my phone bill. I've mentioned the Velingrad M-Tel guy before. We are in love, and he doesn't know it. I got there a little early, and the store wasn't open yet. As I was walking away to eat my breakfast, I saw him. And he saw me. And he broke out into a smile that said, "You, Apryl, are my one, true love," and he said, "Zdrasti!" (Hi.) And I said, "Zdrasti!" It's the smile that gets me, makes me weak in the knees, and makes my day. I'm a sucker for a smile that lights up the whole face and makes you look like the most honest, sweet person in the world. My heart was racing as I ate my breakfast. About fifteen minutes later, I went back to the M-Tel store. Of course, it was crowded. My guy was waiting on someone else, and I was looking around like a little, lost puppy. He pointed to his colleague and said that he would help me. I wanted to cry out, "No! We are in love! We only get to see each other once a month when I pay my bill... if that!" but I'm not quite that crazy. I realize that he's a serious worker, and he wanted to accomodate me. That, and his heart probably doesn't flutter the way mine does when I see him. It makes me all the more crazy about him.
I went over to his colleague - who was smiling at me. I told him I needed to pay my bill. He told me the sum and asked if I understood. Then, he picked up a book I was carrying and started reading the back cover. "You're the curious type, aren't you?" I asked. "Yes," he answered boredly. "Do you speak English?" "Yes." And then he looked at me - expecting me to say something more. I just smiled and blinked at him. A few, awkward seconds passed that way. "Oh, so that was your question?" he asked. "Yes." I paid my bill and left. All that time, he was watching me with this smirk on his face - a smirk that says, "You intrigue me, American." All I could think was, "No! Your colleague and I are in love, and he doesn't know it! Don't ruin this for me! I want to keep coming to this store and not have to default to you!" Some days are like this....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Must be Spring time in Bulgaria! Must be magic...123.

Anonymous said...

"Young american, young american, he wants the young american
All right
He wants the young american..."