Sunday, November 11, 2007

Nostalgia Will Kill You

I'm bored at the internet cafe, so I thought I would update my blog. I've been cleaning up my old apartment this weekend. It looks great! I wish I had kept it this clean when I was living there! My light connection burned out somehow, however, and Enyo can't seem to get it fixed, so no working after dark. I went down and had lunch with them today. That was nice. I really hope our relationship gets better now that I'm moving out. I told Milka that I was going to miss the "parno" - a heating system they installed last year that takes the edge off the cold. (I'll have to heat with radiators (which are so far proving fairly inadequate) at my new place.) She replied with, "Well, that's what you chose." "Yeah...," I said. I wish I had said, "You were in on that choice as well. You could have changed one thing, and I would have stayed." Whatever. What's done is done. At least I'll be spending six weeks of this winter in the states. (Nine more days!)
I was sitting in the living room of my old place as the sun went down. I was looking around the place - taking inventory of the memories I had made there. It made me sad and contemplatively happy at the same time. It's interesting the way an inanimate object like an apartment can become such a part of you. I sat there until I could barely see anything anymore, and then I grabbed my things and left. I have a few more things to do (probably get them done tomorrow), and then I'll turn over the key. (sigh) My new place is growing on me though. I was sitting in the kitchen yesterday - liking what I had done with it. It's really great. It's just an adjustment.
So, I found out I have to go back to Pazardjik to get yet another "lichna karta" now that I have a new place. Lichna kartas show personal addresses, and I really don't see what the big deal is, but who am I to argue with bureaucracy? I imagine the ladies in the migration office are going to be overjoyed.
Krum brought me a rose and "vafla" last night. He's insisting on coming around even though I tell him that I have a boyfriend. Half the time, I don't even know what he's saying to me. I just know he's trying to court me, and deterrents don't seem to work. Valia and Ani were teasing him (and me!) - saying he should fight my boyfriend and the victor would take the prize: me. I wavered between wanting to hit them and trying so hard not to laugh. They were telling him that I was going to the states - never to return. He insisted that he would accompany me to the airport - if he couldn't follow me to the states! He then put on a baseball helmet and picked up a bat. He joked with Valia and Ani that he would fight my boyfriend with his "gear." Oh man, I think I liked it better when he was ignoring me.
And it snowed for the first time on Saturday. And just like that, winter is here. When am I going to "sunny" California again?

No comments: