Monday, July 23, 2007

Random Items

Here are some things I wanted to share in my last post, but I just forgot somehow. A lot has happened. Here they are in no particular order:

1. I slept in a tent for the first time in who knows how long? After the first night of the fair, I went up to the Mahala and shared a tent with Maria and Reneta. Reneta was going on a camping trip, and she got a new tent. They were anxious to try it out, so I went up there with them and slept under the stars. I didn't sleep well, but it was a cool experience nonetheless.
2. It's hotter than hell here. Last week wasn't too bad, and the people in my town were complaining. Now it's downright awful. I hope it's cooler at the sea.
3. I've come down with some weird virus. I was coughing a lot last week. It's gotten progressively worse, and now I have some nose issue to go alongside it. Being sick sucks - especially in the middle of summer. The cough sounds like I've either taken up smoking, or I have tuberculosis. Okay, that's a little severe. Anyway, I probably got it from one of the multiple numbers of kids who like to touch me and cough on me. That's what you get being a youth development volunteer!
4. We applied for a grant for our women's group, and we haven't heard anything back yet. I wrote them and asked for some kind of status update. I suppose this would mean that we didn't get the grant, but I would appreciate them at least writing and saying, "Hey, yeah, we got your application. We're not going to fund you." How hard is that?
5. I went swimming in a public pool for the first time the other day. They were filling it with warm mineral water, and then they switched over to cold. It was an interesting experience to say the least.
6. A fellow PCV found this while surfing around on the internet. It's an article about our former Country Director. He took a teaching position at Colorado State. Under the picture of him on the right, there's a link to another picture of him in Rakitovo with me, my colleagues, and my sitemate. Pretty cool, huh?



And here's a picture that was taken at a baseball practice last week.

No comments: