Thursday, February 09, 2006

Regime

On regime - that's what they call it when they slow your water to a trickle (or just turn it off completely) all afternoon. I'm just sharing for information's sake. Some volunteers have their pipes frozen solid, or they've been without water for weeks at a time. Trust me. I'm not complaining.
We did get a bunch of new snow over the weekend though. The sun was starting to shine. Cows were mooing. Lambs were bleating. I'm sorry I dared to hope spring was coming. What a fool I was. Now I know that the groundhog must have seen his shadow and we must be doomed to an eternal winter. But no. I still find the strength to look out my window at the white world, shake my fist, and tell it that it can't stay like this forever. It will be defeated. Time will conquer.
So we were able to finish up what we needed for our grant and submit the final information. It was a new bank account, and I was at the bank - having a mild cardiac arrest everytime they asked Yanko for such-and-such documentation. Do we have it? Do we have it? Yes! I haven't heard from Peace Corps though as to whether or not everything is okay for now. Guess I'll just hang out 'til the end of the month when we hear whether or not we'll get funding. (sigh) I don't like it, but I can't stalk Peace Corps staff and ask them over and over again whether they have all the needed information, whether it's in the right format or not, whether we can break open a bottle of champagne or let it sit on ice a while longer.... Ugh!
Things are about to get busier here at work. Our donor organization wants to start a project with all its satellites to do some type of exchange. This means we'll be going out and visiting a bunch of other NGO's, and they'll come and visit us. It's to see how we all work and exchange ideas. I think the first one comes on Friday. I know we have a meeting on Friday, and I think the mayor will be there. Rock and roll.
Meanwhile, the internet is slower than molasses as of late. We'll see if I even get this post out tonight. For the record, I'm writing this on Wednesday, February 8th.
English classes still going well. I still have to pinch myself when I ask, "Who wants homework?" and all the kids wave their hands in the air and go, "Me! Me! Me!" Of course, this is still mostly in Bulgarian, but we're making progress. We played Bingo today so they could learn their numbers, and they enjoyed it. Well, they enjoy games and they enjoy it when candy's on the line. Now some of them can say, "I am ________. I am ______ years old. I like _______." It's good times. I test them. They cheat by helping each other out. We laugh. Fun fun.
I took this last weekend for myself. I hung out at home a lot and didn't do much except plan some English lessons. When I did go out for "na gosti" a couple times, it was clear that I still hadn't had enough alone time. I was moody. You know, I'm tired of people telling me in minute detail what I should do - even though they're well-meaning. "Apryl, sit closer to the stove. Apryl, you need warmer socks. Apryl, you need to stay and eat. Apryl, you need to eat more. Apryl, don't put your purse on the ground. (This is a mortal sin 'cause everyone knows all your money will fall out.) Apryl, tell me everything you know about the states. (And shame on you if you don't have an answer to every single question I'm asking you. What do you mean America's too diverse to give a solid consensus-based answer?) Apryl, you need to take five pounds of food back home with you. (Nevermind that it usually goes bad and I end up having to throw most of it away.) Apryl, you don't like this movie, do you? Do you understand what they're saying in the movie? (Shh!! I'm trying to watch the movie!!!)" So then the moody girl comes out, and I don't like her, but she doesn't like people bugging her either. She must remember, however, that she did sign on for this, two-thirds of her job here is interaction, and her livelihood does depend on those around her. It's not these people's fault that they got stuck with an spoiled only-child who likes her alone and quiet time. Should I take this opportunity again to remind you all how much I LOVE it here? And how great I think the people are? Yes. When it comes down to it, yes. They're awesome.
So I was in Pazardjik on Friday, and I was able to focus on new projects. Yay! And I was able to meet up with cool people. Yay! And I was able to call Christi for the first time. Yay! Yay! Yay! Cheap phone service is awesome! I could glorify this endlessly while waiting for the internet connection to perk up, but now I'm cold, tired, and hungry, and I'm going to go home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for calling me. I am still smiling about it. Kevin and Katelyn were telling everyone they got to talk to you. Sounds like you are having alot of snow....I know you may be getting tired of it but just remember back here it is all rain and NEVER snow. =)Enjoy it while you can! Also it is awesome that you linked your blog site to myspace. I love it. Anyways I have to go pickup Kevin so I will talk to you later. Take care and I love ya! Christi