Monday, November 28, 2005

Discrimination, cont.

To be fair, I have to tell you about what my supervisor said this morning. I was complaining about how my new heater isn't working out so well. There's not much confidence in the opportunity to just take it back and demand my money in return. My colleagues got into it though, when they found out where I bought it. They were talking about how shady the people who work there are. My supervisor even said that the woman there "lies like a Bulgarian." So, it's not just one-way discrimination. He's also honest about how the Roma as a people usually auto-segregate themselves. They live in their own neighborhood, use their own schools, are patrons of their own businesses. I can understand why they do it, but I think that just perpetuates discrimination.

2 comments:

Fuzzmaster said...

The Heater is not faulty...

... You come from sunny land of no winter where heating isn't exactly common knowledge. Electric heaters do not work... or if they do, they are extremely expensive to operate...

If you cannot use gas or wood as a fuel perhaps you can get an oil heater (several types available *here at least* , usually they consist of a bucket of slow burning liquid at the bottom with a radiating cover and guard, not to fragrant usually but better at heating (Make sure to use an oil with nontoxic fumes)...

More important! Insulate, and heat only a small area, close off areas of the house less often used. Take care to seal gaps at doors and around windows you can use towels for this but thick curtains or blankets work better for windows. Cover windows at night and uncover during the day. Also, brick & stone hold heat longer (and take longer to heat up)...

Electric heaters were created for tourists and people who live in California.

Lyrpa said...

You're absolutely right. And it doesn't help that my landlady found an ad for the same heater... only $20 cheaper.