Monday, October 10, 2005

Ivanka Petrova - my pseudonym

Hello again, and welcome to another update. Things have been going well since I last posted, and I'm here to tell you all about them: First, I'd like to give a random shout-out to John and Rebecca S. I miss you guys, and I hope you're having lots of good times in your new house. Ah, and as a side-note: I finally figured out the Bulgarian option here on the computer. The name of my town is труд.
This last weekend was fantabulous. Friday was busy with Bulgarian language lessons, basketball, and English club, but then just the girls and I went out to Plovdiv and saw a movie. Jennifer's birthday was a couple weeks ago, and I had promised to take her out to the "kino" (movie theater), so I finally made good on that promise. The next morning, I went to Bratsigovo to see the town and hang out with David (another trainee currently living there). Bratsigovo is beautiful. It's hilly, tranquil, and I would describe it as a perfect autumn setting. We went and had tea at this lovely hotel/restaurant with viney, red leaves covering the stone walls. We took a hike up to the three mini-lakes in the hills behind the town. It was so beautiful and peaceful up there. I came back to Trud on Sunday afternoon and found Villi waiting for me at Station. We decided to go into Plovdiv to see what we could see. On the way to Plovdiv, we were hit by another car. From my unique perspective, based on yesterday's events, this is what you should do if another car hits you in Bulgaria: 1. Sit for a moment and process what just happened.
2. Get out of your car and assess the damage.
3. Show the American were you were hit.
4. Look over at the other car (which has stopped) to see what they are doing.
5. Tell the American "Hide (Let's go)" and just get back in the car and drive off.
For good measure, I glared over at driver and passenger of the other car. We killed time in Plovdiv for a bit, and then we met up with some people to go bowling. The bowling alley in Plovdiv is SO nice - probably nicer than any other alley I've seen anywhere. My first ball was a strike, but it pretty much went downhill from there. I won though, and that's the important thing. (wink wink)
Now we're busier than ever with our projects. I can't even tell you how much we have to do before the next HUB (which is Thursday and Friday). We're meeting at my house in 45 minutes to discuss our grant proposal, and I haven't even done my part yet. Plus, my family is probably wondering where I am for dinner. Bad Apryl!
Ah, and for those of you who may be wondering, I did get rid of my fleas. It was a one-time fluke incident, and I have not noticed any bites since then. For this, I am grateful.

2 comments:

Robert said...

Hey Apryl! I got your Blog page from Grandma. I finally had a chance to sit down and read some of your entries. It sounds like you are having an interesting experience over there. Is it what you thought you would be doing over there? Well I have to get ready for work. I hope you are enjoing yourself over there. Stay safe and take care.

-Robert

Lyrpa said...

Robert!
Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. It's so good to hear from you!! To quickly answer your question: it's far from anything I expected, but I didn't really have many expectations. I'm having a good time. How are you? Drop me an e-mail. There's a link on my blog.