Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Bulgarian Food

I thought I'd share with you some of the great vegetarian dishes I eat here in Bulgaria... just in case you were wondering. If not, move on.

"Pulneni chooski" - This is probably my favorite dish. They stuff peppers with rice and bake it. It's a little more complicated than that, but it's sooo good.
"Chooski byorek" - This is where they take peppers, stuff them with cheese (cirene), and fry them in egg batter.
"Sarmi" - Grape leaves stuffed with rice
"Shopska salata" - A salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, and sometimes peppers and grated cirene (cheese)
"Mequitsi" - A breakfast dish which is like a doughnut. They put powdered sugar or home-canned fruit/syrups on it. SOOO amazing.
"Banitza" - Usually a breakfast dish. Layers of fried dough with cirene (cheese) in the middle.
"Moosaka" - This is a potato casserole made with cheese and sometimes meat.
"Tarator" - This is a cold cucumber soup made with watered down "kiselo mlyako" (yogurt), spices, sometimes walnuts and garlic. I love it!
"Purzheni Kartofi" - These are french fries. They're so much better homemade.

I may share more later. There are many more traditional dishes, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Just thought I'd be random and share this.

2 comments:

TheEleven said...

mmmmmmm....Mequitsi...(drool)

Rebecca said...

Dude my brother Jus turned me on to some french folk
http://albums.vmuz.com/alb16007.html
Dude so hot, did you see my blog, did you see our new Dog? I titled the post for you. Missed you this first pathfinder campout, you know the one we don't go to. Luckily the next one is Monteray.