Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Made it to Bulgaria two days ago....

Honestly, I have no idea what to include in this post. So much has happened since we first came here. We are currently staying in a hotel at a ski resort called Borovetz. We have already started language lessons. I now know how to introduce myself, say where I'm from, and count to ten. I'm sure that's going to duly impress my host family - I meet them on Friday. I find out tomorrow where I'll be training for the next three months and which trainees I will spend time with. We're not considered volunteers until after the training, and about five-six of us will be training together for those three months.
We have been learning a bit about our own programs as well. In case you don't know, I am in a program called Youth Development. I'm only now getting a taste of what that might mean. Amazingly, my trainers seem to think that I have all this experience working with kids. I have no idea how they got that impression. I really think I'm lacking in experience.
A few of us had an adventure last night. We were walking back to the hotel last night and decided to stop in a restaurant/bar. A Bulgarian invited us in, and we soon realized we were the only ones there though. He spoke broken English, but he offered us Fanta and peanuts, and we all had a good laugh at our own limited Bulgarian and the awkwardness of the situation. He had a friend come over and the "dialogue" continued. It was interesting, but at least we already have a Bulgarian friend here in Borovetz. He invited us back in winter - we'll probably know more Bulgarian by then. Ran back to the hotel in driving rain. These are the adventures that make the trip memorable.
This part of Bulgaria is gorgeous. There are beautiful pine trees and streams everywhere. The town is so quaint and European. It just reminds me so much of my tour around Europe during Christmas break 2000. I'm loving being back in Europe again - although we haven't had the opportunity to get out and see much.
The weather has been cold, misty, rainy. Apparently it hailed a bit today. It's a nice change from Washington D.C. however, which was humid. I'm nervous about the Bulgarian winters, but I'm sure I will adapt. What else can you do?
More later... when I meet my host family and start the adventure of Pre-Service Training (PST)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear from you! I am glad you are having such a fun time already in Bulgaria. Experiences such as being in a Bulgarian bar drinking Fanta and eating peanuts is priceless. Make sure you write everything down so you can write a book!

Anonymous said...

good post... thanks.

Aunt Cathy XO said...

Hello Apryl. My thoughts and prayers are with you! I'm so very proud of you. I'm going to really enjoy reading your writings in your blog. What a great way to keep a journal of your Peace Corps-Bulgaria experience. I love you-XO